Germantown, Iowa — A garage was destroyed in a fire on Thursday, April 16, 2015 in Germantown.
According to Paullina Fire Chief Brian Feltman, the Paullina Fire Department has two stations, one in Paullina and one in Germantown. He says about 3:45 PM, they were called to the report of structure fire on the northwest edge of Germantown, on a place owned by Ron Maranell.
The chief says as they approached the scene, the fire department saw a fully engulfed garage and fire in the grove. He says they used water and broke up some of the building to fight the fire.
Feltman reports that there was an explosion while they were fighting the fire. He says they think it was an acetylene or propane tank in the garage. He says there were no injuries.
The fire department was assisted by the Granville fire department, and they had the Marcus department on standby, but the chief says they didn’t need them.
He says the cause of the fire appeared to be sparks from a burn pile.
Chief Feltman reports that the garage was totaled, and there was some damage to other buildings. He says they were able to save another outbuilding behind the garage, the barn, and the house.
He says they used about 8000 gallons of water to fight the fire, and crews were on scene for about an hour.