KIWA-AM Radio began providing local radio service to Northwest Iowa on October 26, 1961. The station’s owner was E.C. “Red” Stangland of Sioux Falls, South Dakota. Stangland wanted to someday own his own station and chose Sheldon as the location for the station.
Even though Sheldon, at the time, was smaller than any town in Iowa with a radio station, Stangland recognized the need for such a service in the four Northwest Iowa “corner” counties. He counted on the strong agricultural base of the area to provide an economic climate, which would support a radio station.
The station began broadcasting from studios on the second floor of the Citizen’s State Bank building, later the home of Pucci’s Restaurant. In 1970, a lot was purchased in the 400 block of 9th Street, and a new building was erected which serves today as the studios and offices for both KIWA-AM 1550 and KIWA-FM 105.3.
Keep tuned to KIWA-AM & FM for more information on the 55th Anniversary celebration, and more KIWA history, as we head toward the October anniversary date.