George Man Homeless After Fire Totals His House

George, Iowa — A house was destroyed in a fire on Tuesday, January 24, 2023, in George.

According to George Fire Chief Bill Sprock, at about 4:50 p.m., the George Fire Department was called to the report of a kitchen fire at 102 East Calumet Avenue, in the southwest part of George.

The chief says the fire department saw black smoke coming from the windows and a side door as they approached the scene. He says they entered the home and mounted an interior attack and knocked down the fire.

Sprock says the occupant of the home was brought to a hospital by private vehicle. The occupant had possible burns and smoke inhalation, according to Sprock.

The Little Rock Fire Department provided manpower at the fire scene as well.

He says the cause of the fire appeared to be electrical in nature, related to a ceiling lighting fixture.

Chief Sprock reports that the home was totaled in the blaze. He says the occupant is living with friends and family until his housing situation is worked out.

He says the firefighters who responded were on the scene for about an hour and 40 minutes.


Local News