Occupants Essentially Homeless After Thursday House Fire In Sheldon

Sheldon, Iowa — The occupants of a Sheldon home are essentially homeless after a fire on Thursday, January 11, 2024.

According to Sheldon Fire Chief Brad Hindt, at about 12:15 p.m., the Sheldon Fire Company was called to the report of a possible house fire at 213 North 5th Avenue, a little over a block north of Sheldon Vision Care or the old Hy Vee building.

The chief says firefighters and officers with the Sheldon Police Department had to help the occupants exit the house, which had smoke coming from the attic vents as they approached the scene. He says once firefighters entered the house, they gained access to the attic area of the house and found fire in the attic.

A second crew of firefighters cut a hole in the roof to gain access to the attic and help ventilate the smoke.

Chief Hindt says Sanborn firefighters were called for mutual aid with manpower.

He tells us firefighters had to tear down the ceiling in the kitchen to remove the burnt insulation and found several burnt ceiling rafters. The occupant told Hindt that they had had some type of electrical issue with a light fixture earlier in the day. The cause of the fire is believed to be an electrical issue.

Hindt says no injuries were reported, but the house is currently not habitable due to the damage. Hindt tells us the American Red Cross is assisting the occupants.

He says the firefighters who responded were on the scene for about three hours.

He says that in addition to the help they received from the Sanborn firefighters, they were also assisted by the Sheldon Police Department, Sheldon Community Ambulance Team, O’Brien County EMA, and Mid-American Energy.


Local News