Sheldon Fire Company Puts Out Bale Fire Caused By Sparks

Sheldon, Iowa — The Sheldon Fire Company was called out for a fire on Wednesday, March 13, 2024, near Sheldon.

According to Sheldon Fire Chief Brad Hindt, at about 11:55 a.m., the Sheldon Fire Company was called to the report of round bales on fire at 320th and Oak Hill Avenue, a mile and a half east of the Highway 60 interchange on Highway 18.

The chief says the fire department saw four round bales on fire as they approached the scene. He says they pulled the bales apart and used water and foam to fight the fire.

Hindt says no injuries were reported.

He says the cause of the fire appeared to be sparks from a burn pit.

Chief Hindt reports that there was negligible damage since the bales were junk bales, but there was a building with good bales in it and a bunch of good bales to the north, so they put out the junk bales to minimize the possibility of damaging the good ones and the building.

He says the firefighters who responded were on the scene for about an hour.


Local News