Sibley Firefighters Extinguish Fire Caused By Electric Transformer

Sibley, Iowa — The Sibley Fire Department was called out to a fire call at Oak Hill Avenue and 120th Street on Monday afternoon. That’s about five miles north and a mile and a half west of Old Highway 60 and 170th Street in Sibley.

Sibley Assistant Fire Chief and Osceola County Emergency Management Director Dan Bechler tells us they were called out at about 3:45 p.m., and the fire started when an electrical transformer exploded. He says that started the ditch grass on fire.

Bechler says the linemen were working on the problem when firefighters arrived. He says no injuries were reported, but there were a few power outages.

He says the damage was limited to the transformer and the grass to about 50 feet down the road.

He says firefighters were on the scene for about 15 minutes.


Local News