Sheldon, Iowa — A Sheldon family was temporarily displaced after a fire in their home Thursday afternoon.
According to the Sheldon Fire Department, at 2:25 Thursday afternoon, they responded to the report of a fire in a basement bedroom of a home at the corner of Washington Avenue and 10th Street. On arrival firefighters were told that all occupants had exited the home.
Assistant Chief Brad Hindt says the resident told fire fighters that she heard a loud bang outside and then saw smoke coming from behind the washer and dryer along with sounding smoke alarms. Hindt says one occupant was sleeping in the downstairs bedroom and was awakened by the sound of the smoke alarms and the bed on fire. Fire fighters made an interior attack to the basement where they encountered smoke as they entered the staircase and flames once in the basement. Hindt says they were able to enter the bedroom and extinguish the fire.
One occupant was reportedly taken by the Sheldon Community Ambulance team to Sanford Sheldon to be checked out.
Hindt says firefighters vented the house and overhauled the bedroom, which received heavy fire damage while the basement received smoke and water damage. The whole house received smoke damage, which will displace the family for a period of time.
The probable cause of the house fire, according to Hindt, was a surge in power as there were downed power lines on Washington Avenue between 9th Street and Pleasant Court and a nearby transformer had blown. He says there was also damage to the main electrical breaker box at 1405 Pleasant Court.
Firefighters were on scene for about two-and-a-half hours.
Sheldon Fire was assisted at the scene by the Sheldon Police Department, Sheldon EMA and the Sheldon Community Ambulance Team.
Hindt says this situation is a good example of working smoke alarms saving lives!!
And, he says if you see downed power lines, do not drive over them, go around!