Lights and Sirens

Sheldon Firefighters Called Out Twice Wednesday Night

Sheldon, Iowa — Sheldon Firefighters were kept busy Wednesday night, answering a pair of calls.

According to Assistant Fire Chief Brad Hindt, the first call came shortly before 8:45 pm, when they were summoned for a fire alarm at 362 Village Circle, on the campus of Village Northwest Unlimited. When firefighters arrived on scene, they found the home’s residents had been evacuated by staff.

Firefighters entered the house and found a rack for the home’s dishwasher had been put on the top of the range, causing it to melt and started smoking, according to Hindt. He says firefighters ventilated the house. And, he says, minor damage was confined to the rack and range top.

Sheldon Fire was assisted by the Sheldon Police Department. Hindt says the fire department was back in service  at 9:45.

Then shortly before 11:30 Wednesday night firefighters were paged out for smoke alarms going off and light smoke in the house at 714 11th Street. Assistant Chief Hindt tells KIWA that firefighters discovered the source of the smoke to be some melted wires in the furnace.  Hindt says the fire department was assisted by the Sheldon Police Department.

Firefighters were back in service by about 11:45 Wednesday night.

Sheldon Fire would like to ask the public to check their smoke alarms, to assure that they are in working order.  Hindt also urges residents to practice a fire drill with your family and have a meeting place outdoor in case you would have a fire.

He says Sheldon Fire will be doing operation EDITH (Exit Drill in The Home) on Thursday night at 6 pm. Hindt says when you see the firetruck driving around town with light and sirens on, the fire department wants you to practice your at-home fire drill.

 

Previous ArticleNext Article