Hawarden, Iowa — Some tense moments were experienced by those inside a Hawarden laundromat on Thursday.
According to Hawarden Fire Chief Duane Schiefen, Hawarden and Ireton firefighters were called to the report of a dryer fire at the laundromat, next to Sunshine Foods about 3:15 p.m. on Thursday.
He says when firefighters arrived, they found smoke coming out of the building. Schiefen tells us that the first engine company to arrive had a couple of guys using air packs enter the building. According to Schiefen, they found the dryer on fire and quickly extinguished it, before ventilating the building.
Schiefen says damage was limited to the dryer itself, with maybe some minimal smoke damage in the building. He tells us it’s unknown if it was a mechanical or electrical malfunction, a lint fire, or if something got stuck, but he says they made quick work of the situation and were finished and en route back to the fire station in about 45 minutes.