Lights and Sirens

Three Fire Departments Put Out Bale Fire In Rural Sioux Center Building

Sioux Center, Iowa — Hay inside a building was destroyed in a fire on Sunday, August 9, 2020, near Sioux Center.

According to Sioux Center Assistant Fire Chief Brian Vanden Berg, about 3:00 p.m., the Sioux Center Fire Department was called to the report of a bale fire inside a building at 4103 Ibex Avenue, three miles east of the Sioux Center Pizza Hut, or about a half-mile south of Sandy Hollow.

The chief says the fire department saw the bales on fire as they approached the scene. He says they used hand lines to put out the bales as the farmer pulled them out of the building with his equipment.

Vanden Berg says no injuries were reported.

The fire department was assisted by the Maurice and Orange City fire departments.

He says the cause of the fire appeared to be spontaneous combustion.

Assistant Chief Vanden Berg reports that about two dozen bales were destroyed, but the building was undamaged.

He says the firefighters who responded were on the scene for about an hour and a half.

Previous ArticleNext Article