Farmer Keeps Fire At Bay With Snow Until Fire Department Arrives

Inwood, Iowa — Some straw bales in a corn crib were destroyed in a fire on Tuesday, January 9, 2024, near Inwood.

According to Inwood Fire Chief Troy Van Beek, at about 8:45 a.m., the Inwood Fire Department was called to the report of a corn crib fire at 2286 Cleveland Avenue, a mile east and a quarter mile north of Highway 182 at the north city limits of Inwood.

The chief says the fire department saw smoke from one of the doors as they approached the scene. He says they used water to fight the fire.

Van Beek says no injuries were reported.

The fire department was assisted by the Larchwood Fire Department.

He says the cause of the fire appeared to be a heat lamp, which is thought to have fallen on one of the bales.

Chief Van Beek reports that about a dozen small square bales of straw and a few pieces of wood were destroyed in the fire. He credits the farmer who was able to keep the fire at bay by shoveling snow on the flames.

He says the firefighters who responded were on the scene for less than an hour.


Local News