Apartment Unit Damaged In Primghar Fire Tuesday

Primghar, Iowa — One unit in an apartment complex was damaged in a fire on Tuesday, January 9, 2024, in Primghar.

According to Primghar Fire Chief Cory Crouch, at about 11:00 a.m., the Primghar Fire Department was called to the report of an apartment fire at Prairie Winds Apartments, an 8-plex apartment building in Primghar.

The chief says the fire department saw smoke and steam coming from the south side of the building as they approached the scene. He says they found the unit’s furnace was on fire. Crouch says each unit has their own furnace and no common ductwork.

Crouch tells us they used one hose line and were able to put out the fire pretty easily. He said there was some extension into the attic, so they had to pull down some ceiling to get at some smoldering insulation.

Crouch says no injuries were reported.

The Sanborn Fire Department provided mutual aid.

He says the cause of the fire appeared to be either a malfunction or overuse of the furnace.

Chief Crouch reports that there was moderate damage, including damage to the carpet and doors.

He says the firefighters who responded were on the scene for an hour and a half to two hours.

Share: