News

Family Of Larchwood Man Killed In SD Accident Sues Bus Company For $10 Million

Larchwood, Iowa — The family of a Larchwood man who died in an accident in South Dakota last year has filed a $10 million wrongful death lawsuit.

The South Dakota Highway Patrol reported that a charter bus carrying 56 passengers was eastbound on Interstate 90 in the dark, on Thursday, December 21st, 2017, when the bus lost all power. The bus came to a stop in the middle of both lanes. No lights were operating on the bus. An eastbound 2013 Ford E-250 van rear-ended the bus. The Patrol says that 31-year-old Cade Stensland was the van driver and was pronounced dead at the scene. No one on the bus was injured.

It has been said that Stensland died two days after his son was born. He and his wife Christina Stensland have two other children.

The federal suit, filed in the US District Court for South Dakota says the Stenslands are suing Cavallo Bus Lines of Gillespie, Illinois, the owner and operator of the bus, for $10 million.

Among the claims made by the Stensland family: the bus was operated and maintained in a negligent manner; the bus company failed to maintain and inspect the electrical system; they failed to be knowledgeable in the safe operation of the bus and adhere to prudent safety standards of inspection, maintenance, control, and operation of the bus; and the bus company failed to properly instruct, train, and supervise its bus drivers as to safe driving practices.

The plaintiffs have requested a jury trial.

Previous ArticleNext Article