Structure Fire In Doon, Rural Fires Near Boyden, Granville

Doon, Iowa — A house was damaged in a fire on Tuesday, November 7, 2023, in Doon.

According to Doon Fire Chief Blake Van Bemmel, at about 6:05 a.m., the Doon Fire Department was called to the report of a structure fire at 204 South Fourth Street in Doon.

The chief says the fire department saw the attic filled with smoke as they approached the scene. He says they used an extinguisher first, and then pulled smoldering insulation out of the attic and put it out.

Van Bemmel says no injuries were reported.

The fire department was assisted by Alvord firefighters.

He says the cause of the fire appeared to be either a doorbell transformer or wiring. At any rate, he says it was likely electrical in nature.

Chief Van Bemmel reports that they had to cut a hole in ceiling, but other than that, there was minimal damage for what it was.

He says the firefighters who responded were on the scene for an hour and a half.

Two other fire departments responded to fire calls the day before — Monday.

Boyden Fire Chief Chris Starkenburg reports they had a baler on fire a little before 2:30 on Monday. He says the cause was probably mechanical. The baler was totaled in the blaze, but the tractor that was pulling it was not damaged.

A little earlier, about 1:15, the Granville firefighters were called out. Fire Chief Karl Kellen says part of a cornstalk field was on fire. He says a bad bearing on a stalk chopper likely started the fire, but it had been taken out of the field for repairs by the time the fire was noticed. He says about five acres of stalks burned. By the time firefighters arrived, one farmer was already disking firebreaks, and along with their water, they put out the fire pretty quickly. He says Hospers firefighters provided automatic aid.


Local News