Sheldon, Iowa — Sheldon firefighters were dispatched to a call of smoke on Friday evening.
Assistant Fire Chief Brad Hindt tells KIWA that firefighters were paged shortly after 9:45 Friday evening to 301 North 5th Avenue in Sheldon. According to Hindt, next-door neighbors heard smoke alarms sounding, but were unable to get anybody to answer the door.
According to Hindt, when firefighters arrived on-scene they found the doors locked and no one home. Firefighter gained entry to the residence, and found an unattended pan on the top of the stove that was smoking, according to Hindt. Firefighter turned off the stove’s burner and cooled the pan.
Hindt says firefighters vented the house with a positive pressure fan to remove the smoke from the house before turning the property over to the landlord.
Sheldon firefighters were back in service shortly after 10:30 Friday night.
KIWA file photo