Dog Rescued, Le Mars Home Sustains Extensive Damage In Fire

Le Mars, Iowa — A Le Mars home sustained extensive damage in a house fire on Tuesday evening, January 3, 2023.

According to Le Mars Fire Chief David Schipper, at about 4:00 p.m., the Le Mars Fire-Rescue Department was called to a house on fire at 1340 4th Ave SE, the home of Richard and Sherrie Moritz of Le Mars.

He says when firefighters arrived, they encountered heavy smoke coming from the back of the home. Flames were venting from a north main floor window also. Schipper says that Richard Moritz, the homeowner, had come home and found the fire and was outside when firefighters arrived. The family dog was still in the home. Smoke detectors in the home were activated. Firefighters attacked the fire through the north window of the home slowing the fire and then firefighters immediately made entry into the home and encountered heavy smoke and heat. They knocked down the fire in the kitchen of the home. At the same time, a crew searched and located and rescued the dog. The dog appeared to be doing well.

Schipper tells us firefighters were on the scene for around an hour and a half fighting this fire and investigating. The origin of this fire was determined to be located in the kitchen on the main floor of the home. He says it appears to have been accidental and says the most probable cause was determined to be unattended cooking. A pan on the stove ignited and the fire spread to the microwave and cupboards above the stove and into the kitchen ceiling.

There was heavy fire damage in the kitchen as well as heavy smoke damage throughout the main floor of the home. The home is insured.

There were no injuries to firefighters. The Le Mars Fire-Rescue Department says the Le Mars Police and Plymouth County Sheriff Departments, the Le Mars Water Department, the Le Mars Street Department, and Campbell’s Electric assisted on the scene.


Local News